With increased time at home for our kids equating to more screen time – whether for online learning or leisure activities – what should we be watching out for to keep their vision safe?
I would love to tell you my kids have no screen time, but this is just not true. The kids are doing video calls with friends and webinars with teachers. That is our life right now. What I recommend for screen time at home would be the following.
- Try putting a Matte screen filter on the screen to reduce glare.
- Adjust your lighting. Try increasing the contrast on the screen to reduce eye strain.
- Take a step back from your screen, keeping it an arm’s length away.
- Follow the 20/20/20 Rule – Take a break every 20 minutes by looking at an object 20 feet away for 20 seconds. Looking further away will give your eyes a moment to relax.
- Blink! Blinking helps produce tears to lubricate your eyes. Artificial tears or eye drops can also help.
- Limit Bedtime Screens. – There are studies that show that devices usage just prior to bed may affect the body’s sleep cycle. Try putting devices down 2 hours prior to bedtime.